Covering Western art from the ancient Greeks to the present day, this best-selling and authoritative dictionary is more wide-ranging than any comparable reference work. It contains over 2,500 clear and concise entries on styles and movements, materials and techniques, and museums and galleries. It also includes biographical entries for artists, critics, collectors, dealers, and patrons, with places and full dates of birth and death (in many instances correcting misinformation that has found its way into other sources). For this new edition, entries have been thoroughly revised and updated, and more than fifty new entries have been added, for example Tracey Emin and Jack Vettriano.
Written in an engaging manner with many entries enlivened by quotations from artists and critics, this dictionary is a pleasure to browse. Previously entitled The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art and Artists, this major new edition is essential for students and teachers of art, design, art theory, and art history, and it is ideal for artists, visitors to art exhibitions and galleries, and anyone with an interest in art.
A SEARCH TOOL
Featuring various search options to help you find the words you need more easily, including:
• A quick search of words while you type
• A 'fuzzy filter' when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
• A 'keyword' search for finding key words within phrasal verbs
• A wild card search facility which can replace a letter or a group of letters
A LEARNING TOOL
The dictionary app includes a number of features which help you to expand your vocabulary further:
• A 'Favorites' feature allows you to create your own categories and lists of words
• Your last visited words are all saved in your 'History', so that you can quickly look back at recently checked words
• Discover a new word every day with the 'Daily' feature
• Ability to have dictionary Word of the Day as a widget on the device home screen
• See words in context with example sentences
• Online and offline modes supported; the offline mode allows you to download the whole dictionary and work independently from data connections
A mobile dictionary application from MobiSystems with content from Oxford University Press.