This is the most wide-ranging and up-to-date dictionary of critical theory available, covering the whole range of critical theory, including the Frankfurt school, cultural materialism, gender studies, literary theory, hermeneutics, historical materialism, and sociopolitical critical theory. Entries clearly explain even the most complex of theoretical discourses, such as Marxism, psychoanalysis, structuralism, deconstruction, and postmodernism. There are also biographies of important figures in the field, with feature entries for those who have heavily influenced areas of the discipline.
Covering all aspects of the subject from globalization and race studies, to queer theory and feminism, this multidisciplinary A-Z is essential for students of literary and cultural studies and is useful for anyone studying a humanity subject requiring a knowledge of theory.
A SEARCH TOOL
Featuring various search options to help you find the words you need more easily, including:
• A quick search of words while you type
• A 'fuzzy filter' when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
• A 'keyword' search for finding key words within phrasal verbs
• A wild card search facility which can replace a letter or a group of letters
A LEARNING TOOL
The dictionary app includes a number of features which help you to expand your vocabulary further:
• A 'Favorites' feature allows you to create your own categories and lists of words
• Your last visited words are all saved in your 'History', so that you can quickly look back at recently checked words
• Discover a new word every day with the 'Daily' feature
• Ability to have dictionary Word of the Day as a widget on the device home screen
• See words in context with example sentences
• Online and offline modes supported; the offline mode allows you to download the whole dictionary and work independently from data connections
A mobile dictionary application from MobiSystems with content from Oxford University Press.