‘This book is rich in peculiarities for the interested observer’ The Independent
The revised second edition of this established dictionary contains over 4,300 up-to-date entries covering all aspects of astronomy. Compiled with the help of over 20 expert contributors under the editorship of renowned author and broadcaster Ian Ridpath, A Dictionary of Astronomy covers everything from space exploration and the equipment involved, to astrophysics, cosmology, and the concept of time. The dictionary also includes biographical entries on eminent astronomers, as well as worldwide coverage of observatories and telescopes. Supplementary material is included in the appendices, such as tables of Apollo lunar landing missions and the constellations, a table of planetary data, and numerous other tables and diagrams complement the entries.
The entries have been fully revised and updated for this edition, and new entries have been added to reflect the recent developments within the field of astronomy, including magnetic reconnection, Fornax cluster, luminosity density, and Akatsuki.
A SEARCH TOOL
Featuring various search options to help you find the words you need more easily, including:
• A quick search of words while you type
• A 'fuzzy filter' when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
• A 'keyword' search for finding key words within phrasal verbs
• A wild card search facility which can replace a letter or a group of letters
A LEARNING TOOL
The dictionary app includes a number of features which help you to expand your vocabulary further:
• A 'Favorites' feature allows you to create your own categories and lists of words
• Your last visited words are all saved in your 'History', so that you can quickly look back at recently checked words
• Discover a new word every day with the 'Daily' feature
• Ability to have dictionary Word of the Day as a widget on the device home screen
• See words in context with example sentences
• Online and offline modes supported; the offline mode allows you to download the whole dictionary and work independently from data connections
A mobile dictionary application from MobiSystems with content from Oxford University Press.